Friday, August 6, 2010

auckland art & craft fair


This press release caught my eye.....
The Auckland Art & Craft Fair is a one of a kind, special event happening for the very first time on 24th July 2010. Designed to showcase a selection of New Zealand's best independent and contemporary Designers, Artists & Crafters selling their products direct to the public for one day only. At the Fair you will find products with an emphasis on quality, craftsmanship, creativity and style. You can purchase direct from the seller, knowing that you are supporting our local talent and you will be taking home a special piece that has soul.
Ever appreciative of the chance to enjoy the handmade, I went along with Beth & Mike to check it out. I loved the location in the Auckland Art Gallery lounge with it's Cut Collective murals on the walls.... but it was crazy!! People were squished everywhere. We started at one end but couldn't move or see any of the stalls so we thought we were going the wrong way...... so we started at the other end.... and no, still stuck!! Eventually we got in and had a closer look at the amazing selection of art, craft and design on display. Oh, so much to see! Two designer/artists that caught my eye were Sensitive Boyfriend and Devon Smith.....
 
Drus Dryden (sensitive boyfriend's alter ego) says, "I hang out on the intersection of sensitive and whimsical, and see what comes along. I'm a conceptual designer, so the idea is more interesting than the actual thing. So far I've made cookies, pillow cases, scarves, t-shirts, badges, ceramics, rubber stamps . . . you name it." His designs are fun, clever and quirky. They are also beautifully made and presented. His stall was laid out a bit differently, with postcard images of his designs displayed. It made it graphically interesting, you were drawn in for a closer look. My favourites? The eye catching pink knitted Winter condoms, the Giving Up Smoking gloves, the amusing Psycho chopping board with obligatory knife and the Stain by Numbers tea towel....
I managed to score the last one! I love the key at the bottom - 1. Bleach splatter 2. Spilled milk 3. Mushroom sauce 4. Chicken gravy 5. Hazelnut gelato......
  
Devon Smith's art works, prints and jewellery are stunningly drawn and crafted. I had spied her work at Swonderful in Wellington so it was great to see it again. Her images are original, detailed, delicate and sensitive but with an edge!
So beautiful.... my very own miniature original painting to wear. I love the packaging with it's ribbon and "D" wax seal.

Other purchases worthy of mention are......
.....a lovely lavender bird from Birdspoke
....and this gorgeous crucifix from the Ferrit. All purchased with specially printed market money designed by Devon Smith. I would show you but I spent it all!!

1 comment:

  1. ooooooooooooh, sad. wish i had been around for that. next one?? love your choices stace, love love love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails